We’re not talking about any ordinary Valentines here—these are extraordinary Valentines, that are sure to be a hit with the kids…and grown-ups too.
We ♥ everything about Valentine’s Day! What do you love most?
Whether you’re looking for stand-out Valentines your kids can pass around, or just want to spend some quality time with your little love bugs, these crafts are sure to bring out your inner Cupid…
1. Sun Catcher Hearts ♥
Have a bunch of sad-looking crayons at the bottom of the crayon tin that just don’t make the coloring cut anymore? Re-purpose them to make these beautiful “stained glass” hearts.
• Crayon Shavings (Mom or Dad can shave the crayons with a knife or scissor blade)
• Wax paper
• Hole puncher
• Yarn, ribbon or string
1. Trace a heart onto the wax paper and lay it flat on your work surface.
2. Sprinkle the crayon shavings within the heart’s outline (less is more here; a light layer of shavings works best!)
3. Now this is the really fun part: cover the wax paper and shavings with another sheet of wax paper. Place a paper towel on top of the wax paper to protect your iron, and iron on low-heat until the crayon shavings are melted.
4. Cut the heart from the wax paper and use your hole puncher to punch a hole on top.
5. String some yarn, ribbon or string through the hole and hang your catcher in a sunny place to let the light shine through!
2. Valentine Barrettes ♥
Dress up your little sweetheart’s tresses with these whimsical hair accessories. You can really use your imagination and make them as sparkly, frilly or fun as your heart desires.
• Plain barrettes
• Pink, red or other Valentine-themed ribbon or yarn
• Fabric glue
• Decorative buttons, beads, rhinestones or sequins
• Lace, to add a bow (optional)
1. Tightly wrap the ribbon or yarn around the barrette, gluing as you go.
2. Glue or sew your decoration of choice, be it sparkly rhinestones or heart–shaped buttons, to the ribbon.
3. Want to add a bow? Take a long piece of lace, tie a bow and affix it to the barrette.
4. Let it dry completely and let your little one try it on!
3. Playdough Hearts ♥
These playdough hearts are easy to make and fun to play with! They’re perfect as favors for a Valentine’s Day party, or as an extra special Valentine for that extra-special friend.
• 3 cups of flour
• 1 ½ cups of salt
• 6 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 ½ tbsp cream of tartar
• 3 ¼ cups water
• Rolling pin
• Red food coloring
• Heart-shaped cookie cutter
• White, red or pink construction paper
• Cellophane or plastic baggies
• Hole punch
1. In a saucepan, mix the flour, salt and cream of tartar.
2. Mix the liquids in a separate bowl, adding food coloring until you hit the perfect shade of pink, or red.
3. Stir the liquid mixture into the saucepan with the dry ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly, on medium-low heat until mixture binds together and stirring becomes difficult (about 5 to 10 minutes). Be careful not to overcook. The mixture will continue to thicken as it cools.
4. After the mixture cools, knead it a few times and roll it out to ¾ inch thickness.
5. Using a cookie cutter, cut heart shapes out of the dough.
6. Wrap each heart in cellophane, or place in a plastic baggie. Cut out tags from the colored paper and decorate with markers.
7. Punch a hole in each tag, thread ribbon through it, and tie the baggies or cellophane shut.
8. Distribute the goodies to your nearest and dearest, and let the good times mold!
4. Crazy Valentine Pencils ♥
Q: What’s more exciting that getting a love note from a Secret Admirer? A: Writing a love note from a Secret Admirer with these kooky, playful pencils!
• Craft foam
• Pipe Cleaners
• Permanent Markers
1. Cut a small (1-2 inch) heart from the craft foam. Using a permanent marker, decorate the heart (or, if you’re making these as a gift write your “to and from”).
2. Poke a pipe cleaner through the bottom of the heart and twist the pipe cleaner to attach it to the heart.
3. Coil the rest of the pipe cleaner down the length of the pencil (with a few extra coils around the eraser to really anchor it in place).
4. Gently pull the heart a teeny-tiny bit above the eraser so it teeter-totters above the eraser.
5. Write a special note to the ones you love the most!